Customs Regulation

You are here Home  > Customs Regulation  >   Hong Kong Customs

Customs Procedure for Moving Household Goods in to Hong Kong

Personal and household effects are subject to customs clearance and examination upon arrival in Hong Kong. Ordinary personal and household effects (new or used) are exempted from import tax and duty.

Documents Required
Photocopy of shipper’s passport, Authorization letter, Inventory list, Dutiable items include liquors, cigarettes and tobacco, Normally, the owner does not have to be present during customs clearance and inspection. Nonperishable food items, packed in cans, or other durable packaging, may be imported in small amounts. 

Only right -hand drive vehicles are permitted (driving is on the left)
Certain models are not accepted (must contact Transport Department for further details)
Very high duty and taxes
Customer must own vehicle for more than six months

Documents required:
Bill of Sale/Original Purchase Invoice
Export License in origin country stating engine and chassis number
Registration Certificate showing the dimensions
Deregistration Certificate
Hong Kong Insurance Certificate
Driver's license
Authorization letter for Destination Agent to handle Customs clearance
Full Exhaust Emission Test Certificate (should be obtained prior to departure
from origin)

They must be reported to Transport Department within fourteen days of arrival in Hong Kong
Transport Department
Licensing Division
3/FL., United Centre
Other Useful Information
HKSAR is a free port. There is no tariff on general imports. However, there is duty on liquors, tobacco, hydrocarbon oil and methyl alcohol. This is prepaid by the seller and included in the price, so it often goes unnoticed. Duties on these goods raise revenue for the general administration and for development projects, while at the same time help to keep general tax levels low.
The Customs and Excise Department is responsible for enforcing the law for collection of duties and protection of revenue.
For tobacco, hydrocarbon oil and methyl alcohol, duties are charged at specific rates per unit quantity. For liquors, duty is assessed at different percentages of their values on the basis of three different categories defined broadly according to alcoholic strength. The duty rates prescribed in the Schedule to the Dutiable Commodities Ordinance (Cap. 109) are extracted as below:

Prohibited Items
Drugs of various kinds 
Firearms, ammunition, explosives, and flick knives 
A valid license for possession/dealer’s license from the Royal Hong Kong Police Force must be obtained for importing and exporting firearms and ammunition. To obtain such a license, the shipper must submit an application for an import/export license. 
Applications for imports and exports of explosives must have the prior endorsement of the Mines Division, Civil Engineering Department before submission to the Trade Department for Processing. 
Obscene or pornographic materials, including books and photographs 
Plants, trees and vegetables 
No person shall import any plants (ex: timber, trees, shrubs, or any kind of plants which may be grown,
planted or propagated) unless it is: 
Accompanied by a plant import license, Fumigated or disinfected in the country of its origin, Accompanied by a valid Phytosanitary Certificate, Subject to post-entry quarantine observation. 
No Plant Import License or Phytosanitary Certificate is required for the import of: 
Cut flowers 
Fruit and vegetables for consumption 
Grains, pulses, seeds and spices for human or animal consumption 
Timber and timber products including rattan and bamboo 
Dried tobacco and manufactured articles incorporating dried leaves 
Plants produced in and imported from China 

Live Animals and Plants
Quarantine may be required depending on the type of animal and the country of origin.
Documents required:
1. Health Certificate cannot be more than fourteen days old and must be endorsed by a
Government approved Veterinarian

2. Rabies Vaccination must be administered at least one month before departure, but
not more than six months before departure

3. Import Permit issued by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries and valid for
30 days from date of issue

4. Both a Residence Certificate as well as an additional International Health
Certificate must be prepared and must be endorsed by the USDA/APHIS/VS
Special permits must be obtained in advance for the importation of animals and birds. Quarantine
periods vary according to the animal's country of origin. Application forms for the permits may be

Disclaimer: This information is intended for general guidance and all users are allowed to reproduce this information. cannot however take responsibility for any errors, additions and omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest customs office or the moving company you select for your move to Hong Kong for full and current information prior to importation/relocation.