Customs Regulation

You are here Home  > Customs Regulation  >   Canada Customs
Welcome to MoverWorldWide

Customs Procedure for Moving Household Goods in to Canada
This is any person moving to Canada, with the intention of establishing a residence for more than 12 months. An immigrant may import free of duty and taxes household and personal effects that were owned and used by him in his former country of residence. 
May bring back duty free all household and personal effects including car, boat, aeroplane, provided they have been acquired and used six months prior to arrival in Canada. (After 5 years, the 6 months provision is eliminated). There is, however, a valuation limit placed on these goods of $10,000 per item which includes automobiles. Duty & taxes will be levied against any one item that exceeds that limitation. Canadians who have lived outside of Canada for less than 1 year are excluded from the speed program. Personal attendance during customs clearance by the shipper is mandatory. The first declaration must be made at point of entry into Canada. At this time the shipper will need to submit two detailed lists, in duplicate. The first list should cover accompanying goods and the second should be marked "goods to follow". It would be helpful to show values, makes, models and serial numbers. When the shipment arrives, a second personal declaration to Custom is required at the Customs point nearest final destinations

Documents Required
Passport, Visa (if applicable), Work Permit (if applicable), Inventory (in English or French) giving a detailed list of appliances and electronics with make, model, serial number, etc. Customs Manifest (Form A8A), Previous airport or United tates/Canada Border Declaration, Importers Declaration for Customs, Immigration papers for immigrants, Landed Immigrant Application (if applicable), Letter of Undertaking (not always necessary), Returning Canadians will also need to provide the following documents:-
Proof of Residency outside of Canada 
Monthly statements, letter from employer, rent receipts, Income Tax, etc. 
Seasonal Resident In Canada
Any person who is not a resident of Canada but owns a residential property or has leased a residence for at least 3 years for his / her personal use. Proof of purchase / copy of lease agreement is required.
A detailed list of all items being imported in English. Import of used household & personal effects is duty free on a One time entry basis only and the goods cannot be sold for at least 1 year. 
Inheritance of Gifts in Anticipation of Death Requrements
Personal identification. A detailed list of all items (English / French). Advice Notice, obtained from the moving company. A copy of the Death Certificate, a copy of the will or a letter from the Executor of the Estate stating you are a beneficiary. A signed statement from the donor giving reason for the gift or a statement from the Executor of the Estate. (Gifts could be subject to import duties and taxes) 


1. Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety and Emission control regulations apply 
2. Vehicles over 15 years old are subject to different regulations and costly modifications may be required 
3. Vehicle must bear the "Statement of Compliance" label affixed by the manufacturer 
4. Vehicle may be subject to local taxes but are duty-free 
5. Form K-22, immediate registration and licensing is required for exemption from duties 
Documents required: 
Registration, Proof of ownership.

Prohibited Items
Weapons (except as stated above), explosives, fireworks and all ammunition, Narcotic drugs, Animal products on the endangered species list, Plants, sand and other related matter require a Phytosanitary Certificate and Import Permit issued in advance by the Department of Agriculture and fruits and vegetables are prohibited.
NOTE:Inclusion of any of the above items in the shipment will delay customs and result in additional expenses for the customer.

Live Animals and Plants

1. All pets require an International Health and Inoculation Certificate and Inspection by the Department of Agriculture 
2. Dogs, birds, livestock, and horses three months old or older from the United States can be imported provided they are accompanied by a certificate signed and dated by a veterinarian, showing that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies within the last year. Pets must be vaccinated at least 30 days prior to entry. 
The certificate must identify the animal by breed, age, sex, color, and any distinguishing marks 
3. Quarantine will be required for some types of animals 
Length depends on the type of animal and country of origin 

Disclaimer: This information is intended for general guidance and all users are allowed to reproduce this information. cannot however take responsibility for any errors, additions, omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest customs office or the moving company you select for your move to Canada for full and current information prior to importation/relocation.