Customs Regulation

You are here Home  > Customs Regulation  >   UK Customs
Welcome to MoverWorldWide

Customs Procedure for Moving Household Goods in to UK

Household and personal effects are allowed into the United Kingdom free of Customs duty and VAT if they have been in the member's use and possession in their normal home abroad for at least six months and providing they are solely for the member's use in the United Kingdom. 
The member must have taken up residence in the United Kingdom or be in the immediate process of doing so. The property must be imported within twelve months of the member's transfer of residence. 

The Customs form C3 must be completed by the member and submitted together with a packing list in English. In the case of recent purchases or new items, invoices may be required by Customs and Excise. All wines, spirits, tobacco, cigars, perfumes, toilet waters and any goods which have been owned and used for less than six months must be declared and are subject to Customs duty and VAT.

Documents Required
Customs Form (Import Declaration), two fully completed originals need to be provided to
C-3 (Household goods and personal effects for primary residence)
C-33 (Household goods and personal effects for secondary residence)
C426 (for diplomatic entry)
C104A/C104F/C384 (Motor Vehicles)
C-5 (Pets)
Valid Passport
Visa may be required
Work Permit
Detailed Inventory in English, two copies, valued, dated and signed by Customer
Keys for any locked items.

Most private vehicles can be imported free of duty for a period of less than six months. For periods in excess of six months, importation is free if:

The member is moving their normal home to the U.K. and has lived for more than twelve months outside the E.C. 

The vehicle has been possessed and used in their normal home outside the E.C. for at least six months before it is shipped and documentary evidence of this must be produced to Customs. 

The vehicle was not obtained under a duty/tax-free scheme. 

The member must keep the vehicle for their own personal use and not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of the vehicle in the U.K. within twelve months of the importation unless authority is obtained from Customs. Download separate customs form for a motor vehicle.
Declaration to HM Customs - must specify year of manufacture, make, model name,
serial number, chassis number, engine number, cubic engine capacity, number of
cylinders, whether petrol or diesel, whether left or right hand drive, description of the
body, price, the odometer reading, any extra or special features (e.g. automatic
transmission) and any defects in the auto that would bring the price down.

Documents Required
Customs Form C104A (Importing vehicle in connection with moving main
residence to the United Kingdom). Customs Form C104F (Importing vehicle for a 6-12 month period). Customs Form C384 (Importing vehicle when duty is applicable)
Community Transit Document (T2) obtained from Customs office in the country
of exportation. Registration papers/Title. Police Certificate or Registration. Insurance Policy. Original Purchase Invoice. Log Book.

Dutiable/Restricted Items
New items, if less than six months old (invoice required)
Alcohol, tobacco and perfume products dutiable and must be declared on Customs Form
(C-3 or C-33). Presence of these items can result in full inspection. Of entire shipment (should not be shipped with house hold goods.) Plants will need a Phytosanitary certificate.

Prohibited Items
Firearms. Valid Firearms Certificate issued by the police authorities. All handguns other than certain .22 caliber target pistols, are now illegal in the United
Kingdom. Importation is strictly prohibited. Ammunition, flick knives, explosives and fireworks. Drugs and narcotics. Counterfeit currency. Pornographic material and horror comics. Meat, poultry, fish and other animal products. Radio transmitters (CB radios, walkie-talkie, cordless telephones, etc.) not approved for use in the United Kingdom.
Trees, plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, potatoes and certain other vegetables and fruits
Most animals and all birds, whether alive or dead (i.e. stuffed) and certain articles derived from protected endangered species including furskins, ivory, reptile leather and goods made from the endangered species.

Live Animals and Plants
Very strict restrictions apply. Health Certificate and proof of inoculation required
Customs Form C-5 required. Dogs and cats: six months quarantine required in government approved facility. Quarantine kennel space limited, must be booked prior to importation. Import License - not granted until other requirements have been met, and quarantine (six months) in licensed facility has been arranged.

Disclaimer: This information is intended for general guidance and all users are allowed to reproduce this information. cannot however take responsibility for any errors, additions and omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest customs office or the moving company you select for your move to United Kingdom for full and current information prior to importation/relocation.