Customs Regulation

You are here Home  > Customs Regulation  >   Germany Customs

Customs Procedure for Moving Household Goods in to Germany

Used household goods may be imported into Germany duty-free, provided they have been in member's possession for at least one year abroad and are for continued use by the member. (If the shipper has not lived outside of the EC for at least one year, then there is still the possibility to import the house hold goods without paying duty or taxes, provided the employer will issue a written confirmation stating it was intended for the employee to remain abroad for at least one year, but that due to an internal company change it became necessary to repatriate the employee sooner). 
From a customs standpoint, the shipper is not allowed to sell, loan out, or give away any of his imported house hold goods for a period of at least one year. If it should come to German customs attention that this has been done, the shipper will be charged duty and import tax. 
If the member cannot import the household goods immediately at the time of taking up residence, then proof must be furnished as to the reasons of the delay, but goods must be imported within One year. 

Documents Required
Household goods inventory.
Original registration at local city hall or a certified copy. 
Original passport or a certified copy may be requested by customs, but as a rule photocopies are sufficient. A definite exception is the Hamburg POE, where one can expect customs to require the original passport.
Attestation of employer stating employment in Germany, or if an EC citizen, then an attestation of employer stating that the shipper resided outside of the EC for at least One year. Exception - see "Customs Regulations".
Foreign diplomats: certificate issued by their embassy or consulate. Goods will then be cleared without inspection.
The customs declaration form will as a rule is provided by the German moving company, and will also be completed by the German moving company.
Dutiable/Restricted Items
New items (less than six months old) invoice required
Inventory must detail exact number and size of bottles, exact alcoholic strength in percent, and value of each bottle. 
Tobacco, tea, coffee, toilet waters, perfumes, etc. 
Foodstuffs in large quantities (do not recommend shipping with household goods) 
Electronic items such as computers, videos, stereos, etc. (must show serial number and have purchase invoice) 
Duplicate appliances or electrical equipment may be assessed high duties 
Large amounts of handicrafts .
Marriage Dowries
In addition to the documents specified under I) above, a copy of the marriage certificate is required. 
Inherited goods 
(In addition to the documents specified under I) above, a copy of the will is required. 

(In addition to the documents specified under I) above, proof of membership (registration certificate, title, log-book) is required. Member must use car more than 6 months by member outside the EC.
Admitted duty-free if Customer has lived abroad for over one year, has owned and used the auto for a minimum of six months, if brought in for personal use with household goods and will not be sold for one year. Cars must be inspected before licensing, comply with German technical and environmental regulations and require modifications.
Documents required: 
Proof of membership, Car documents , German driver's license, Member's passport, Member's police registration in Germany, Insurance record from country of origin, Third-party liability insurance that begins with Customs clearance, Declaration of Customer that no high value goods are in car, Origin Registration and copy of title\, Commercial invoice, if new vehicle. It is highly recommended that the Customer inform the Destination Agent of all auto details prior to importing. 
Diplomatic Shipment

Customs clearance of Diplomatic Household goods requires only the original form 0349, stamped and consigned from the consulate, copy of diplomatic passport and the inventory. If you do not have a diplomatic form you will need the normal paperwork for customs clearance: certified passport, police registration etc.

Prohibited Items
No particular restrictions for normal consumer goods and foodstuffs. Alcohol, tobacco products, perfumes and coffee are dutiable. Guns require a Certificate of Registration, valid passport of member, proof of membership, and a gun license for importation. Duty-free if firearm has been owned for at least six months prior to importing. Guns must be easily accessible. Must apply for a German Membership Permit. Explosives, Ammunition, Drugs and narcotics, Live plants (need special Import Permit), Any protected animal or species, dried plant or items of historical significance (ivory, snakeskin, leopard fur, pre-Colombian items, etc.), Pornographic material, Certain types of meat, Radioactive material and Wine, grape juice and other various foodstuffs and consumer goods in large quantity. 
Firearms must be entered on the inventory as last items, indicating the model, calibre and serial number, and must be loaded close to the door of container, lift van or truck. Firearms must be registered with the German authorities before a release will be granted by customs. 

Live Animals and Plants
All pets must have a valid health certificate issued no more than 10 days before entry and must have had a rabies vaccination no more than one year before entry. Please ask your Moverworldwide agent in Germany for full details. 

Disclaimer: This information is intended for general guidance and all users are allowed to reproduce this information. cannot however take responsibility for any errors, additions and omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest customs office or the moving company you select for your move to Germany for full and current information prior to importation/relocation.